Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More Encouragement from Joshua

Brothers,
let God's Word be the inspiration and content of your prayers! When I go to God's Word I am consistently convinced of its limitless wisdom and encouragement to believers. I took yesterday and today to read through the book of Joshua, and just like when I was going through the "NT Challenge," I could stop at almost every verse and meditate and write down things that bring praise to my lips of God and His greatness.

Here are a few reflections from the rest of the book of Joshua:

Joshua 21:43-45:
43 So the LORD gave to Israel all the land of which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they took possession of it and dwelt in it. 44 The LORD gave them rest all around, according to all that He had sworn to their fathers. And not a man of all their enemies stood against them; the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand. 45 Not a word failed of any good thing which the LORD had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass.

Brothers, the Gospel is there! The Lord has promised us a place in His Kingdom, "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself." (Phil. 3:20-21) And, he has given us our rest in Christ, through whom we are delivered from the things of this world (read Romans 8). And, praise God for the words of Joshua 21:45, what a mighty and merciful God we serve! He says there in His Word, "NOT A WORD FAILED OF ANY GOOD THING WHICH THE LORD HAD SPOKEN TO THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL. ALL CAME TO PASS." I have to tell you brothers, promises like that from God's Word energize me and excite me about serving Him. "If God is for us, who can be against us!!"

I think one reason the Old Testament is an encouragement to believers is its reminder of God's sovereignity in history, telling us of how our Lord preserves His people. Look at what Joshua says to the Israelites in Joshua 23:3b, "...for the Lord your God is He who has fought for you." Brothers, don't let your minds become slack in remembering that it is the Lord your God that fights for you. It is He who wills your sanctification. These promises are so sweet!

I was also very encouraged to hear the boldness of a godly man like Joshua. I know you brothers can echo this sense of being emboldened and built up in the faith when godly men strongly proclaim the promises and assurances of God's Word. Joshua tells the people of Israel in Joshua 23:6, "Therefore be very courageous to keep and do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses. lest you turn aside from it to the right hand or to the left." I wrote in the margin of my bible, "Manliness!" Brothers, we are engaged in a fight and we are to be COURAGEOUS! I love the images the Apostle Paul provide in II Timothy (that Marcus recently preached on), but especially that of the soldier. How encouraged are you by standing together as men to serve the Lord? What a privilige brothers it is to strive for holiness together with you!

Again, remarking on boldness, Joshua says in Joshua 24:14, "Serve the Lord!" and in the following verse, "But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord."

Take heart brothers!
Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your reflections from Joshua...I enjoyed reading your posts and benefited from them. Coincidentally, today's bible reading verses for Hyunju and I (part of our newly started 52 week bible reading plan) were Joshua 1-5. I read these chapters moments ago and was struck by the number of times in CH. 1 where Joshua is instructed to be "strong and courageous" (1:6, 1:7, 1:9, 1:18). I also felt emboldened by this and even more so after reading your comments on Joshua 23:6. Like Joshua we too are called to be COURAGEOUS and this is actually one of my prayer topics this week (...and likely one for the long haul). I pray we will all be bold and strong in the faith and that we will grow in obedience and strive to share the gospel faithfully with the lost who surround us.

Here's a question for the audience: if persecution is absent from our lives can we be certain we've been bold and courageous? If we are living in peace with the world might it be because we are conformed to it?

I'm really encouraged by the posts I've been reading from the other brothers and I am really excited/motivated by all that is taking place.

I thank the Lord for you brothers!

v/r
Brian M.