Monday, August 4, 2008

The Men's Prayer Challenge

Guys,
as many of you know, part of the reason for this blog is the mutual encouragement of each other in the faith. To that end, we have had a "NT Challenge" and we have posted many good articles and sermons, and "amateur" commentaries, on Scripture.

I have spoken with a good many of you regarding our next challenge, and many of you have said that you anxiously await its inception, so here it is: The Men's Prayer Challenge!!

The challenge: you are challenged to set aside 30 mintues each day from your personal schedule to devote to God in prayer. Let me remind you that we do not proceed upon this challenge with a legal frame of mind, but with a heart of thanksgiving and gratitude towards God for what he has done for us by His grace in Christ. We commit to each other to pray for at least 30 minutes each day this month in the understanding that God calls us to pray "without ceasing" and that we desire to humble ourselves before Him calling upon him for all our needs.

I would also call upon each of you to post your comments as regularly as possible speaking to your experience during this challenge. Please also post short (3 paragraphs or less) comments from good theologians on prayer. And, feel free to post things that you think will be encouraging to each other while we progress together through this challenge.

Blessings,
Steve

3 comments:

Jeffrey T. Riddle said...

Steve,

Just last evening I was reading Charles Bridges comments on the minister's need for "habits of special prayer." He quotes a fellow named Quesnel as follows: "Much prayer and little study advance the work of God, more than abundance of study without prayer."

JTR

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a great quote from Quesnel!

One area in my life (among many) that I need to grow in is prayer and as I think about the time I spend studying compared to the time I spend in prayer this quote most certainly hits home hard!

v/r
Brian M.

Kize said...

Count me in, though I do expect it to be quite the challenge. My dedication to prayer is weak and I hope I can grow along with the rest of you in this area. Brothers, post words of encouragement regularly, because I will need them!