Monday, August 11, 2008

A Lesson on Discipline

While on vacation I learned an important lesson about discipline. Well, "learned" is not the right word since I already knew the lesson. "Experienced afresh" is more accurate. I experienced this lesson through two disciplines, Scripture memorization and running. I started a consistent routine of running back in April. I would run four times a week and I missed only a couple of runs. The plan was to slowly work up to running for 3o minutes straight. I accomplished the goal and was running for 35 minutes or so until my discipline became lax. After 3-4 weeks of inconsistent running, during my runs on vacation, I struggled to run for 25 minutes.
The need for consistency and perseverance in discipline also hit me hard with Scripture memorization. A couple of years ago at one point, I had James, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Romans memorized and was reciting each book once per week. Now, after an extended hiatus, I am trying to return to a more disciplined approach of review. However, getting everything back is a struggle. Was the memorization of these books helpful even if I don't have every verse in the tank now, one may ask? Yes, of course it was. I am much more familiar with the books and the memorization process allowed the Holy Spirit to influence me through hours of meditation.
My point of relating this experience is to say that discipline needs to be consistent and persistent. "Binge discipline," as I have heard it called leads to little fruit. Alternating between lengthy dry spells and short bursts of extreme discipline leaves one feeling frustrated. Discipline is best taken in daily smaller doses over a longer period of time. This tactic is certainly contrary to our instant gratification bent, but over the course of months and years, it will certainly pay off. So, let us have short term goals for our disciplines; but more importantly, let us have long term goals. Where will you be spiritually in 5 years? In ten years? In twenty years? Brothers, be consistent and be persistent.

No comments: